Sunday, April 18, 2010

My wife, daughter, and younger son will be flying overseas in a few weeks to see my wife's parents. My wife's father developed a degenerative disease a couple of years ago, and there has naturally been an increased emphasis on meeting her parents since then. We did so twice at a geographic middle ground for both sides, but his condition is now such that we need to travel to their home to meet them.

As implied above, however, Anthony and I will be not be going. Earlier airplane flights with him led us to realize that, even with medication, he will not make it very long without becoming disruptive or at least making his presence unwelcome to other passengers. Anthony is also far too much trouble to ask relatives to watch for more than a few hours, and none have the time available to deal with him for several days regardless. We considered looking for a group home for him so that I could join my wife and other children. If we successfully placed him, though, we would not be in the position to return quickly to address potential issues such as Anthony seriously hurting other people or himself. Perhaps more importantly, a normal child would not be happy being handed over for a period to people he doesn't know. Maybe Anthony's cognitive ability is sufficient that he would not be happy, either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a better solution, it is times like this that I wish that there was a extra safe place for him. It sounds like you have exhausted all avenues.
I will keep hoping something turns up it would be so good if you could go also. Your family deserves the very best.

Anonymous said...

That was me Pam not Derek. Don't know why this is posting like this I am on my own FB. Weird.

James said...

Thanks Pam. I just need to make a ton of money and buy my own airplane! Or at least charter flights. . . .