Monday, April 5, 2010

My wife and I occasionally browse a local thrift store in hopes of finding the odd gem. We particularly favor shopping there for Anthony since he is hard on his clothing, and does not express preferences about what he wears. Because he is also considerably more corpulent than he should be, we were grateful recently to have the idea of women's jeans with elastic waistbands recommended to us. They fit him well where we otherwise have trouble finding suitable men's pants, and they have the added bonus of costing less.

On one of our trips to this store not long ago, I found a sweatshirt that I particularly fancied for myself. The color was right, the fit was right, it clearly had not been worn much, and it felt good. I wore it a few times, and each time had that singular feeling of satisfaction that comes with paying $3.00 for something I would not have considered buying at retail price.

It now belongs to Anthony. This sweatshirt was of sufficient quality that my wife matched it with a turtleneck for him when we were going out for a formal event with extended family. We went for pizza afterward, and Anthony used his shirt as his napkin as he customarily does. The result is about what it would be if I had worn it while changing an oil filter. Easy come, easy go. I went to the thrift store a couple of days ago with the hope of striking gold again, with no luck. I did, however, find several more inexpensive sweatshirts for Anthony.

1 comment:

satoko said...

It was a nice sweatshirt and I'm so sorry that I picked it up for Anthony to wear that day. I'll continue to look for the replacement for you. Maybe for your birthday!