Saturday, September 12, 2009

When I was a child, I occasionally saw families with teenage children that were not normal--the ones with "something" wrong with them. I'm certain I still paid attention to such families well into my adult years as well. Everyone is interested, if only from a standpoint of curiosity. Sometimes it can be with a sense of sympathy for those with the unusual child.

My perception is now understandably different. My wife and I have become "other people" as in the phrase, "that only happens to other people". So I know that eyes will be on us when, for instance, Anthony and I come out of a public restroom stall after he has been making his random noises, or at least certainly when they see me washing his hands.

I don't look at the people looking at us, because I know that is just how it is, and I don't view it negatively. They are probably wondering the same things I wondered about others before we had Anthony. I frankly also still pay attention to families with special-needs children--perhaps more discreetly than many would--but I do so now from a fairly unique vantage point. If the child appears to be autistic, especially if he or she is younger than Anthony, and if the opportunity is there without being intrusive, I will let the parent know about my own child. Most people find comfort in meeting others in their situation.

No comments: