Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One of my greatest desires is to hear Anthony speak. What would he sound like? What would he say? What interests would he have, if he were normal?

Based, I suppose, on these wishes (and the probably-unfounded thinking that the proper connections in his brain could occur at any time), I sometimes have dreams wherein Anthony has the power of speech. These dreams usually follow a similar pattern: He says something to me, I respond, "Anthony! You can talk!" And he replies almost as a matter of fact, "Yes, I can talk," and the dream ends with me being happy.

I had one dream recently, however, that I think was influenced by having seen Awakenings, a movie with Robert de Niro and Robin Williams, many years ago. Perhaps indicating the degree to which that story has remained with me, in this dream I found that Anthony did not want to go to sleep. I asked him why, and he told me that he was afraid he wouldn't still be able to speak in the morning. I was rather concerned because of my newfound joy in seeing my son "back" after all these years, but I knew that going without sleep indefinitely was not realistic. I told him to go to sleep and we would see what happened.

In the morning, he had gone back into his autistic shell.

1 comment:

OhRioCookie said...

That is so sad! I've had a dream where my mom, my little brother, Anthony and I were in our old apartment in CA, where Anthony was sitting at the end of our coffee table and was doing a puzzle. He said something and (very similar to my dad's) I exclaimed, "Anthony! You can talk!" My mom then said to me, "Of course he can," with a puzzled look on her face. That is all I can remember, since I had that dream years ago.