Sunday, October 14, 2012

In the interest of improving my younger son's soccer skills, we occasionally go out to watch rival teams play.  Yesterday was one such instance, and I made the mistake of saying something to Anthony before I went out with his brother, so he came toward the door.  I told Anthony that he would not be going with us (since I didn't want him disrupting the sidelines of fans we didn't know), and thought that would be the end of it; he would just go back to his room. 

My wife told me later that Anthony didn't go back to his room.  He just stood there.  And stood there.  I don't know if he didn't understand me, or thought I had just gone out to the car briefly and would be coming back in to put on his shoes, but he clearly didn't get it.  My wife felt sorry for him, so she took him outside with her and our daughter, and later to a frozen yogurt shop.  We met them there after the soccer game when my wife told me what had happened.  I don't know what Anthony thought, or felt, but I was very sad for him.  I have to be careful going forward to not get his attention if I have to go out, or we need to make accommodations to take him out too. 

No comments: