Thursday, January 21, 2010

I came very close this evening to responding to a friend of my sister on Facebook. I am probably too tired, too stressed, too sick of being sick, or a combination of those conditions to think reasonably. Nevertheless, I do not know the person who responded to my sister, and realized that my opinion would likely offend her, so I refrained from acting on my impulse.

My sister posted something supporting donations for a charity related to autism--a worthy cause, to be sure. Her friend commented, "Glad to see this. [Name withheld] works almost every day with autistic children, they are so very special!"

I have heard the word "special" applied to autistic children many times by people who are peripherally familiar with them. On the other hand, I have never met a parent of an autistic child that would refer to that child as "special", at least if the term is meant to have a positive connotation. Of course, autism covers a wide range of disorders, so perhaps there are those I have not met who would prove me wrong.

Certainly, being parents of Anthony has taught my wife and me empathy for others that we may not have gained for many years otherwise. We do indeed feel, correctly or not, that we are better people for the experience. However, I cannot describe what it would mean to me to have a period of time, even a short one, wherein we could have a "normal" existence. As with most who have issues significantly outside the standard realm, we did not expect to become "other people" as in the phrase, "that only happens to other people". I may still be in denial after all these years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for skill with words to convey feelings on such a sensitive topic. It is rare to be able to do this I am so glad I know of your family.. Sincerely Pam Henderson

James said...

Thank you Pam. We are likewise grateful to have friends like you and your family.