Wednesday, November 5, 2014

I rarely, if ever, post again so soon, but I thought today warranted it.

I got home from work as usual about half an hour before Anthony was scheduled to return from school.  No one else was home due to outside time commitments.  I was really tired and knew that I wouldn't get the chance to rest later, so I lay down with the anticipation that I would be getting up within 20 minutes at the sound of Anthony's approaching bus.

Instead, I had barely started to relax when I heard the bus, fully fifteen minutes ahead of schedule.  I hurried to the door to assure the driver that I was here so that he wouldn't honk the horn; I can't imagine the neighbors care for that.  Instead of waving at me, however, he motioned for me to come out to the bus instead of letting Anthony off to come in on his own as usual.  Now it was making sense, I thought; Anthony must be upset so they detoured to bring him home first.

Since I didn't have my shoes on, I closed the door briefly to put on them on, but, alas, I was too slow--the driver honked his horn thinking (I imagined) that I hadn't gotten the message.

I got out to the bus and, as I climbed on, said, "Anthony's not doing well today, I guess?" But the driver surprised me by motioning to Anthony and responding, "He's ripping off his pants!"  He and the bus aide had not seen Anthony do that, I surmised, so while they were consternated over him exposing most of his underwear, I simply said, "Yeah, he's doing that a lot these days."  I got him off the bus and hoped that no neighbors were watching, but, if they were, I imagine they would understand.

I keep planning to schedule a trip to the thrift shop, and my wife had actually intended to buy him a couple of things as well recently but forgot while addressing the rest of her shopping list.  We'll just have to bump it up the priority list a couple of spots; I doubt there are any nudist colonies nearby.

No comments: